It has been a bit of a tough week at the Denis household. Last weekend, both of the kids had terrible fevers but with no other symptoms. It was the kind of fever that drives you insane. We spoke to our pediatrician on Friday who told us that if the fever persisted for more than 24 hours, he wanted to see the kids (we are lucky that our doctor's office is open on Saturday and Sunday).
On Saturday, the kids woke up without a fever and Emma never got a fever back. But Henry, his fever returned late that afternoon after the doctor's office was closed. Gusty and I took turns setting alarms and checking on him ever hour or so to make sure that his fever didn't get above 104. The next morning, he woke up cool as a cucumber so we didn't take him to the doctor thinking that the problem was over. Sure enough, the fever returned that night so we had another sleepless night.
On Monday morning, no fevers, but I had 2 extremely fussy children. Emma was just fussy but Henry was downright upset. He cried all day which has never happened. I don't think that he has ever cried for more than 5 minutes since the day he was born. It got so bad that I had to call Gusty to come home from work a little early after I had been crying in the Whole Food parking lot for 20 minutes! I was just completely exhausted and overdone from taking care of 2 screaming toddlers for too many hours. I never called the doctor though because the fevers were gone, we didn't have any other symptoms, and I didn't want to be the crazy mom who is constantly taking her kids to the doctor.
Thank goodness Tuesday was a better day because I awoke that morning fearful that I would not be able to be a good mom if it was another bad day.
But Wednesday...Henry was pulling at me all morning and I just couldn't soothe him. He had absolutely no other symptoms other than the fact that he was upset. I finally took him to the doctor and we discovered that he has a viral infection that is causing him to feel really achy. Since then we have kept him on Tylenol and Motrin and he is slowly getting back to the sweet and independent Henry that we all know and love.
Of course the doctor told me that I should have brought him in sooner. Why was I so worried about seeming like a crazy mom instead of just taking him to the doctor? Anyone else out there constantly second-guessing everything that they do as a mom?
No comments:
Post a Comment