I will never forget the day that we found out that we were pregnant. It was July 16th and I went to see Dr. Stein at 7am for my blood test. The nurse promised me that they would call with the results by 3 and I waited all day long. I had a meeting downtown that started at 3 so I swallowed the $20 and took a cab from the office. I did not want to miss that phone call by trying to save money and taking the subway. I sat in the park across the street from Macy's staring at my phone. Finally at 2:55, I couldn't wait any longer. I called the nurse and they told me they would call right back. As I was walking into my meeting at exactly 3pm, the phone finally rang and we were pregnant! The nurse said that our levels were 206, nearly double the norm. I should have known something was up then. I called Gusty and in 30 seconds screamed that we were pregnant, to call and tell my parents, and that I had to run! What a strange meeting that was. I was about to jump out of my chair I was so excited but instead I had to talk about communications!
Our next huge milestone that would change our lives forever was on July 28th - our 1st ultrasound. That morning we received the terrible news that Gusty's father had a stroke. I put Gusty on a plane to New Orleans and I headed to the doctor. The next thing I knew, Dr. Stein held up 2 fingers and said "twins!" and I said the exact same thing I said when Gusty proposed..."b***s***!" I couldn't believe it.
The pregnancy went incredibly well. We learned that Baby A was a boy and B was a girl. I think these may have been the most monitored babies of all time. I had an ultrasound every 2 weeks but it was great getting to see the babies all of the time. And then at 30 weeks, Gusty and I went out to dinner to Picco and I went into labor. Fortunately, the doctors were able to stop it. At 36 weeks, I developed preeclampsia and the doctors put me in the hospital for the remainder of the pregnancy. For 5 days, the doctors would run tests to make sure that I was handling the pregnancy ok. They wouldn't let me eat anything until they had their results and could decide that I wasn't going to deliver that day. Imagine telling a pregnant woman she can't eat!!!
The final day arrived at 36 weeks and 5 days, March 1st - and what an incredibly long day that was. They didn't let me eat all day. Finally at 5:30pm, the doctors were satisfied that I wasn't going to deliver and they told me I could eat. Gusty and Jamie rushed out to get me some fried chicken (one of my many cravings), but before they came back, a nurse rushed in and said that they wanted to do more tests and that I couldn't eat. At that point I was about to take out the kids myself. Thank goodness I went into labor and the doctors had no choice but to deliver me. After about 6 hours of labor (and after watching everyone else eat the fried chicken), I finally went into the OR and the doctors tried for over an hour to put in a spinal. Then, they put me under a general and delivered the babies.
Henry was born at 1:17am and weighed 5lbs 15ozs. Emma arrived at 1:20am and weighed 5lbs 4ozs. They were perfectly healthy and stunning!
No comments:
Post a Comment