Thursday, July 16, 2009

And the score is...Kids - 2; Parents - 1


Yesterday, we finally got rid of the miracle blanket (I call it the miracle baby straight-jacket) which has been our savior for the last 4 1/2 months. This proved to be the only swaddle that the kids could not get out of, until this week. Henry has been getting out of his swaddle every morning and waking us up early so we decided that it was time for them to learn sans swaddle so we could get some sleep! We knew that this time would come - and we even tried to get rid of it once before - so yesterday, we switched to sleep sacks.

[Kids 1; Parents 0] It was a terribly long day. Henry and Emma just could not understand. They love to be swaddled and it puts them right to sleep. I was hoping that if we kept the routine the same and put them in sleep sacks instead of swaddles that they would understand. I was wrong. For their morning nap, they fell right to sleep. At first we thought, "hey, this is easy." WRONG!!! They woke up after sleeping for only about an hour (they usually nap for 2.5 hours) and they screamed...for a long time. We let them cry while soothing them every once in a while until it was time to get up.

[Kids 2; Parents 0]The afternoon was worse. They were so tired but they would not go to sleep. They screamed for about 45 minutes until they finally fell asleep, for about 1/2 an hour. Then the screaming ensued.

[Kids 2; Parents 1]I was dreading the night, especially since Gusty had a hockey game (which he won 4-2 and now his team is in 1st place!) and I would be on my own. Hallelujah, they slept! They went down at 7, I was able to do their dream-feed at 10, and they went right back to sleep!!! Henry slept until around 7 and Emma slept until almost 8! Now they are down for their morning naps so we shall see what today brings. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment