Thursday, July 30, 2009

Our 1st Trip to the Grocery Store

I was completely unprepared for Gusty to go out of town yesterday. I think that I was in denial or was just hoping that if I pretended it wasn't going to happen, it wouldn't. Well, it did. Gusty took the red eye last night and just landed in St. Barths. He called to tell me that he landed safely and was on his way to the beach. I will let you imagine the thoughts running through my head right now (only because I am green with envy!).

Since I was in denial, I had absolutely no food in the house and Marin is a little different from New York - the only delivery is pizza and chinese. Now I love pizza and chinese food, but he is gone until the 3rd and I haven't sustained myself on that kind of a diet since college. I decided that today was as good as any to try grocery shopping with the kids. Since Henry and Emma were born, I always run errands when Ale is with the kids (our most wonderful nanny who comes for a few hours twice a week) or either Gusty and I go while the other stays with the kids. I had visions of 2 babies screaming through the aisle as we were nearly done and having to ditch the basket and run.

IT WAS GREAT! Almost easy actually. I loaded the kids into Bob (the stroller), grabbed a cart and away we went. I just pushed the stroller in front of me and pulled the basket. The kids were great. They just looked around and played with their toys. The only thing that slowed me down were the other people in the store. As a parent of twins, you learn very quickly that your children are a novelty to everyone else. So, we had to stop and let everyone look at Emma and Henry. The positive side of the novelty thing, the deli guy through in a ton of extra deli meat into our bags for free! As I was paying, the check guy asked, "Would you like some help out today?" Picture this, huge grocery cart full of bags, double stroller, myself, Henry and Emma looking at this guy like, "what do you think?"

The hardest part of the trip was the return home. Unloading all of those groceries and the kids was a bit exhausting. After hiking 4 loads of groceries and 2 loads of kids up the stairs, I am a little tired, but thrilled that we had such a successful adventure!

1 comment:

  1. If my babies are fussy, then we leave and go somewhere! They LOVE looking around and seeing new things. The car and the new scene almost always calm them down, especially when they are being strolled around. They like to move!

    ReplyDelete