Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What a great 2 weeks it's been!

We are back from a great trip to Aspen and so much has happened in the last 2 weeks (so I apologize for the long entry!)...

Traveling on an Airplane with Twins
The plane trip actually went pretty smoothly although the flight to Aspen was much easier than the flight back. Henry, Emma and I flew with Mom and Dad to Aspen. Only Gusty and I flew back with the kids. It made a huge difference having so many extra hands. There was always at least 1 extra person to get things in and out of the diaper bag, grab something for everyone to eat, or just to hold onto a baby so that you can go to the bathroom! I have no idea what I would do if I was on a plane with the twins by myself and needed to go to the bathroom. I guess that I would have to pray for nice stewardesses! Anyway, I learned a lot of "good to know" things about traveling with twins.
(1) A boppy was a great item to carry on. It gives you the opportunity to put the baby down in your lap and take a break. You and the babies are much more comfortable. We went to Aspen with only 1 boppy, but we came home with 2!
(2) The bulkhead is a lifesaver! On the way home, Gusty and I sat in the bulkhead. The babies were really fussy, so I put their boppy on the floor and let them play in all the legroom. I think that in the future, Gusty and I will purchase an extra seat for 1 of the kids so we can have a whole row to ourselves and have an opportunity to put a baby down for a bit.
(3) Carry on anything for the babies that you will need for at least a 24-hour period. The babies bag was delayed getting to Aspen. Fortunately we had everything that we needed (diapers, clothes, extra formula, etc...) and most importantly we had their miracle wraps! That would have made for an exceptionally long night without those!
(4) Other things that I have heard and may do in the future: bring earplugs for everyone around me, chocolate to butter up the stewardesses and possibly valium so that I can deal with the airlines when everything is delayed.

The Aspen Trip
We had such a wonderful time in Aspen. Henry and Emma took to their new home without a hitch. They slept through the night until 8am nearly every day. The only real differences that I noticed were that they ate a little less and spit up a little more.

During our 1st week, we spent most days playing with the babies around the house and taking nice walks. I honestly have no idea where the time went or what else I did!

On July 2nd, Robin Proctor (our wedding photographer) came to the house to photograph Henry and Emma. Now, the twins are the happiest and most well-behaved babies you have ever met - except on that day. From the moment that they woke up, they were grumpy. We started with pictures outside and Henry looked like a bump on a log. He literally had no expression. Once we went inside, Emma never stopped screaming. Fortunately, I know how wonderful Robin is and I know that we will get some good pictures out of it. Needless to say, that was a very long day.

July 3rd was my birthday. I woke up to a capuccino and cupcakes. It was a great day. Gusty and I had an amazing dinner at Kenichi that night while Mom and Dad babysat (Thanks Nana and Pop!).

The 4th was another great day. We all walked into town and watched the parade. I couldn't believe how great Emma and Henry were. That night we went to a party at Eliza and Chris Coburn's and watched the fireworks (thanks again to Nana and Pop for babysitting!).

The 5th was a really special day. It marked the 1 year anniversary on the day we got pregnant!!!

The 6th was Nana's birthday and unfortunately our last day in Aspen. Happy Birthday Nana!

Henry and Emma's New Tricks
I am absolutely amazed at how much Henry and Emma have changed over the last several weeks. They are smiling all the time and giggling. They are also both holding onto toys and playing with them. Henry loves to put everything into his mouth, including his entire fist. Just today, they moved up to the level 2 nipples. For those of you without kids, this equals about 1/2 the amount of feeding time!

Well, that's the update for today. I will post more pictures and video shortly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment