It's rare that I get to spend one-on-one time with Emma and Henry, but on nights when Gusty plays Hockey, I do the dreamfeed by myself and it has become one of the moments that I cherish most.
I almost always start with Emma because she usually stirs the second I open their door. It's as if she has been waiting for me all night. I have to give her a pacifier while I change her diaper otherwise she wants to chat and make me laugh. While I feed her a bottle, she loves to play with my hands. She will spend the entire bottle gently touching my hands and looking straight into my eyes. It is one of the best feelings on earth. While I burp her, Emma used to talk to the lamp and then look at me and smile. Now she loves to scratch at the pillow behind my back (her new trick is to scratch on different surfaces to listen to how it sounds).
Henry takes a while to wake up when it's his turn. He usually sleeps while I change his diaper and then wakes up and smiles at me just before he starts his bottle. He loves to hold my hand while he eats and if I don't give him my hand, he will keep reaching out until I give it to him. Henry always falls asleep in my arms while I burp him and I have to sit there for a while just to enjoy the moment.
As Emma and Henry get older, the dreamfeed will end and these times will just be a wonderful memory. I can't wait to see what memories I get to experience next.
No comments:
Post a Comment